[lug] X11 Protocol, migrating windows to remote displays

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Mon May 19 09:40:05 MDT 2003

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 09:33:24AM -0500, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 08:47, Zan Lynx wrote:
> > Here's a Debian package link to xmove, which does what I think you
> > want.  Google around for other versions.  I looked for a source site,
> > but nothing jumped out at me.
> >
> > http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/xmove.html
>
> Having not heard of this before, I went looking for it.  It's a pseudo-X
> server that you connect your clients to and it forwards the info on to
> the real X server.  It apparently doesn't allow you to move individual
> application windows - the whole client must be redirected to a new
> display.  So it does half of what you want by (partially) implementing
> an X server.

Somehow i doubt that it's possible to do a partial move. X allows clients
to move resources to the server (images etc.). If one moves a subtree
of the widget hierarchy to another server one would have to ensure that
all the resources referenced from within that subtree will be available
on the new server as well (with the same resource ID!). I doubt this is
doable.

 ralfd