[lug] GPL/Open Source License Questions

Glenn Murray gmurray at mines.edu
Mon May 19 11:54:38 MDT 2003

Hi,

This isn't really a Linux question, but I know members of BLUG have an
interest in this, and I'd like to get some of their collective wisdom
on this issue (as opposed to, say, a single lawyer's).

I've been managing a government-funded project (your tax dollars) for
a couple of years.  The government funding is winding down now.  The
project consists of a framework with plugins to provide functionality.
I would like to release the framework and some plugins under the GPL
and then continue supporting the project by selling proprietary
plugins.

Assume I possess the copyright.  I don't see a problem, so far, but...

Suppose XYZ, Inc. will market the plugins for me.  They would like the
GUI to be modified to refer mostly to XYZ, Inc., and not the open
framework.  The clients would receive the proprietary plugins included
in the open framework packaged or "configured" to look like an XYZ
product (no source code).

Now I am not so sure that I am not violating the GPL. What if an
"About" page laid out the licensing (GPL framework, proprietary
plugins and configuration/look and feel)?  ?

Assuming I have the copyright and not XYZ, can I do this anyway?.  I
always thought that if I retained the copyright, I could release
software under the GPL and release it under a non-GPL license at the
same time, or later, or whatever.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Glenn