[lug] GPL/Open Source License Questions

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Mon May 19 15:04:17 MDT 2003

Glenn Murray wrote:
> I would like to release the framework and some plugins under the GPL
> and then continue supporting the project by selling proprietary
> plugins.

You can do this, but only because you are the copyright owner.  No one
else can sell proprietary plug-ins, since *they* would be violating the
GPL license by doing so.  You can't violate your own license.

You can also give a special license to XYZ corp that allows them to do
something that they couldn't do under the GPL license.

As someone else pointed out, you will not be able to accept
contributions under a regular GPL license; any contributors will also
need to agree to your arrangement.  Perhaps that's okay with you, but
keep in mind that to outsiders this arrangement is less attractive --
why should they contribute to something you can exploit commercially and
they can't?