[lug] GPL/Open Source License Questions

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Tue May 20 18:06:44 MDT 2003

Peter Hutnick wrote:
> I'm not completely convinced of this.  Let's say you release your
> framework under the GPL.  I fork it and create a GPL to non-GPL plugin
> interface.

It is very unclear if is would be possible for you to create a "GPL to
non-GPL plugin interface."  Certainly it violates the spirit of the GPL.
  Whether it violates the letter as well is not something that has been
determined in court, as far as I know, but certainly there would be
enough uncertainty so as to make it difficult for you to build a
business on that.