[lug] GPL/Open Source License Questions

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Tue May 20 20:37:47 MDT 2003

Peter Hutnick wrote:

>>>I disagree.
>>
>>Not everyone agrees with the FSFs interpretation
>
> Uh.  By whom was the GPL imbued with a spirit, if not the FSF?

In the case of a particular piece of software, the most important intent
is that of the person or people licensing the software, and perhaps to a
lesser extent, the general understanding of GPL in the community.  The
FSF's interpretation has some bearing on the general understaing, but is
not necessarily going to apply in any particular case, unless of course
the FSF is a party to the relationship (which in the case of software
placed under GPL by someone other than the FSF, it is not).

> To be clear, are you saying that forking /might/ be linking?  Or that
> something less than forking might not be?

I'm suggesting that the relevant distinction is probably whether the
combination forms a "derived work" or not.  The particular technology
used to form the combination is not necessarily relevant.  It is
plausible that both possiblities you suggest are true on some cases, and
not true in others.