[lug] RedHat 9?

Elyse Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Wed May 21 10:50:07 MDT 2003

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 10:00 am, Michael Deck wrote:
> At 09:56 AM 5/21/2003, efm at tummy.com wrote:
> >* On 2003-05-21 15:50 Elyse Grasso <emgrasso at data-raptors.com> wrote:
> >> Just received the May KRUD disks, which are now based off RedHat 9.
The
> >> transition 7.x to 8 was messy (there's stuff I still haven't gotten
> >> working again since the update). And now I'm using my laptop for
work
> >> related stuff and don't have a lot of time to spend retweaking it.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any feelings for how ugly this transition is
likely to
> >> be? Upgrade at lunch? Upgrade this evening? Wait for the long
weekend?
> >> Run away screaming and reconsider switching to mandrake (since I'm
> >> KDE user...)?
> >>
> >> I know that RedHat 9 breaks qmail... any other gotchas to watch out
for?

> Can anyone elaborate on this? It seems like my upgrades always take
_days_ because first Qmail gets busted and then Mailman. I'm sure I'm
doing something wrong but if the latest KRUD is going to make that
worse, I'll wait...

> Michael Deck
> Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.

There's a system library change in RedHat 9 that breaks qmail. (compiles
break with complaints about errno) There's a patch on the qmail
website. I heard about it because I was following the qmail mailing
list for a while.

But it makes me wonder which other of my apps are going to break because
of library changes.

--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology