[lug] RedHat 9?

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri May 23 16:12:06 MDT 2003

On Friday 23 May 2003 03:16 pm, Nate Duehr wrote:
> But apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't work well on RH boxen, does it?
>
> i.e. -- KRUD 9 to KRUD 10 -- via a one-line command without anything
> breaking?

apt-get dist-upgrade on RH is important, but it accomplishes a different
thing.  Most notably, it won't upgrade your box to a newer RH release.

I don't think you can expect major release upgrades to just happen without any
intervention.  For one thing, configuration file formats tend to change, and
I don't think any distro can resolve these automatically.

While Debian's dist-upgrade feature is pretty darn good, I'm still partial to
a fresh install for major release changes.  As someone said earlier, it tends
to whack out older cruft and give you a known starting point.  With good
documentation, it takes me very little time to drop things back in /etc and
get it all going again.