[lug] partitioning a build machine

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue May 27 13:32:54 MDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 13:19, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> Peter Hutnick said:
> > Michael J. Hammel said:
> >
> >> Is this a good way of doing this?  Should I leave the other partitions
> >> alone when I do my install of the other distributions (just specifying
> >> which is to be the root mount point)?  Can the boot diskettes know
> >> which partition to use as their root and which ones to leave alone?
> >
> > See "man rdev"
> >
> > Don't put filesystems in other systems /etc/fstab.
> >
> > But why not use GRUB?
>
> Or in Haiku:
>
>    Peruse man rdev,
>    Don't clutter your fstab,
>    GRUB beats a floppy.
>
> It's not my fault.  I'm reading Fight Club right now.  "I am the Zen
> master.  I am the calm little center of the Universe."

Hi Peter,

Rather than wasting time on rdev and bad haiku, you should read how to
accomplish this particular task with a little chroot finesse:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/Multi-Distro-Dev.html

that:

  1) doesn't require *wasting* a lot of disk space with
     needless extra partitions

  2) is quick and easy

Ed

--