[lug] partitioning a build machine

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue May 27 20:58:48 MDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 18:50, Bear Giles wrote:
> Ed Hill wrote:
> > Rather than wasting time on rdev and bad haiku, you should read how to
> > accomplish this particular task with a little chroot finesse:
> >
> > http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/Multi-Distro-Dev.html
>
> Have you ever heard the story about the man with a hammer... who
> saw all problems as things to be beaten down?
>
> Chroot is great for many tasks.  But if you're doing development
> to the point of distributing binary packages (the OP wasn't
> clear), chroot probably isn't going to cut it from a QA
> perspective.

Actually, that's exactly what I'm doing - building binary distribution
packages.  I decided to go with GRUB for now.  I'll see how that plays
out.

Interesting note while installing KRUD/RH 9.0 on an old Cyrix 686MX - it
doesn't boot back up after install.  The install works, but on reboot I
get a kernel panic and a message about the kernel being compiled for a
PPro+, requiring PGE features.  Hmmm.  I have a Pentium motherboard I
can use, but its in a box (retired from my daughters use now that she
has a new HP box) that was horribly built and next to impossible to
remove the board.  Anyone know if I can get this latest KRUD distro to
boot on this Cyrix 686MX?

Fun and games trying to roll your own... :-)
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |   Chinese Proverb: