[lug] Hardware RAID on boot

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Thu Jun 5 01:46:39 MDT 2003

Hey all,

I'm recompiling a kernel (2.4.20) to run on a system using an Adaptec
2110 RAID controller.  I don't have the system here in my office, so I
have to make some educated guesses and hope it'll work. :)

My question is whether I need to compile the appropriate RAID support
(under SCSI > low-level drivers) directly into the kernel, or if it's
okay to use it as a module.  When the system boots, it seems to me that
the kernel will need it directly-- simply because it won't be able to
"see" /lib/modules/xxx.o until it recognizes the disk and mounts the
partition.

Is that correct?  Taking this one step farther, if I want to compile a
kernel that'll work with ANY hardware-RAID system do I need to compile
all of the RAID components (there are quite a few) right into the
kernel?

TIA,
Jeff