[lug] CU-boulder install-fest

Glenn Ashton gfa at idiom.com
Fri Jun 6 09:44:40 MDT 2003

When we did the Mini-expo at CU we didn't get charged for space or for
bandwidth.

In addition, we had raffle items.

This required three phone calls and one face to face meeting to get
sponsored and get the space.  Many, many members of the BLUG then came
forward to offer a variety of things including install help in the install
room, demos in the demo theater and help with the "what can I do with
Linux" in the expo room.  We even ordered pizza in the install room.

In any event, a student group or academic department can sponsor events
like this for free, and there ought to be at least one academic department
that might have an interest.  It was hard to get anything done in the UMC
or with the bookstore in the last couple of years due to the renovation.
Maybe we can ask them if they would be interested.  The bookstore even
offered a discount for Linux/ Open Source books.  If someone is over
there, could they check and see if the Buffalo Chip still stocks Redhat
and O'Reilly books?  If they do, they might be interested in helping with
an event because it promotes sales of boxed sets and books.

Granted, when I did it the free schwag spigot runneth over due to a good
economy, but I think having an expo/ installfest actually serves a
valuable purpose on campus, which is why we did it that way.

It's terrific that SoftPro is so kind with their space, but to really do
an event other than a small installfest there is self limiting.  Maybe
that's the event that folks want though...

-Glenn Ashton