[lug] CU-boulder install-fest

Glenn Ashton gfa at idiom.com
Fri Jun 6 11:47:38 MDT 2003

I don't know what the ECE Capstone area is.  When we did a mini-expo
(years ago), we worked with Chuck Johnson at the CU Bookstore.

He set up the rooms and internet access.

I imagine that you would need to contact UMC scheduling, but if a
professor, or academic dept, or student group or the bookstore decided to
help it makes things so much easier.  Also, though money is a problem for
poor college students, if we had to pay some nominal fee for connectivity
on campus for a one day event, I think some folks might be willing to
throw in a couple of bucks.

So, asking around first is a good thing.  You're right in thinking that
folks at CU should have an interest in presenting what Linux and Open
Source are to students.  There are so many excellent tools in the average
Linux distribution for a wide variety of uses in an academic setting.

You might contact Dr. Dirk Grunwald in Engineering.  He has done some
pioneering work in building mesh networks using Linux based hardware.  His
graduate students are Linuxers.  Or maybe contact one of your own
professors and see if she or he would be interested in helping.  Perhaps
some of the professors/ graduate students would like to show off the work
they are doing using open source.  That could be part of the event too.

-Glenn Ashton