[lug] OT: UltraATA controller for Linux

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Jun 7 15:06:53 MDT 2003

Hi Nick,

On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 14:55, Nick Golder wrote:
> I upgraded my HD in my fileserver and now need a faster controller card
> (consequently eliminating the onboard channels).  I haven't followed
> hardware in so long and have lost touch with what companies are
> reputable.

I currently have a Promise ATA-133 PCI card running in one of our web
servers.  Its auto-detected by recent Red Hat kernels and runs just
fine.  And I've had good luck with on-the-motherboard Promise ATA
chipsets.

> Can anyone suggest a good solid card for ATA-100/133?  The controller
> card has to be GNU/Linux compatible (and BSDs would be nice for future
> possibilities of getting cascaded).  Also, anyone know anything about
> SIIG?  Are they reputable?

SIIG has been my first choice for PCI RS-232 cards (which we use
frequently to control lab equipment) since the SIIG cards are reasonably
priced and have worked flawlessly (auto-detected, etc.) with Linux.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher