[lug] console messages

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Mon Jun 9 14:32:47 MDT 2003

On Monday 09 June 2003 14:18, George Sexton wrote:
> How do you disable console messages?
>
> I.E. if iptables is logging stuff how do disable those messages so that my
> interactive console is not filled with reject messages.
>
> I tried "mesg n" but that didn't seem to help.

It should be configurable from /etc/syslog.conf.  Remove the /dev/console
action from the appropriate line, and that should do it.  I have commented
out this line on a RH system:

# Log all kernel messages to the console.
# Logging much else clutters up the screen.
#kern.*                                                 /dev/console

Restart (or SIGHUP) syslogd when you're done.