[lug] Mail archiving solutions

Joseph Crotty jcrotty18 at attbi.com
Tue Jun 10 19:57:04 MDT 2003

The problem is how does one go about easily archiving email on a linux system?

All of my email is carbon copied to a master archive mbox file by procmail.  I
would like to be able to run a cron job that calls a script, say weekly, that
churns over the master archive file and sorts the mail into monthly files
(e.g. 0603.mail).

I trolled Google and the nearest I can come up with is an article here:

http://www.cs.duke.edu/~des/scripts/sortmail_article.html

However, this solution seems to beckon the dark ages (circa 1998).  Anyone have
any better and/or more recent ideas?

Joe