[lug] linux firewall, popup windows spam blocking

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sat Jun 21 14:05:03 MDT 2003

Peter Hutnick wrote:

> D. Stimits said:
>

> >What I'm wondering is if anyone knows what I can block on my linux
> >firewall to block popups from other networks?
>

> I don't have any Windows machines, so I can't offer any specifics.
>
> . . . but, have you considered a "deny by default" policy?
>
> -Peter

This is a bridge with five different machines on it. It has to be set up
carefully, and deny by default only works on linux. Zone alarm on
windows does not have the ability to block by port, and apparently
something else that is mandatory for use on windows has caused zone
alarm to accept this. My guess is that the UPS software/popups for power
failure settings are related to this. I want to know the exact port and
UDP/TCP so I can do the job right, without cutting off other things.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com

PS: I'm on this list, there is no need to send to me directly, in
addition to BLUG. Simply sending to BLUG should be sufficient.