[lug] pte_offset in a device driver isn't being found

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sat Jun 21 14:30:42 MDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 14:31, D. Stimits wrote:
> What hardware does this driver support?

SigmaDesigns NetStream2000, although the chip I have is an 8470 -
slightly different model though I believe it should work if I can get
the kernelmode driver built.

> I assume it is packaged
> separately from the kernel and not part of the kernel source itself, but
> maybe it was packaged with a new kernel before testing it against
> changes (not all configurations can be tested, there are so many).

It's the GPL'd package from SigmaDesigns web site.  You can do a search
for NetStream 2000 to find it - there is a freshmeat (or SourceForge, I
forget which) entry that points to it.

> If
> the driver is not part of the stock (or Redhat or other packager)
> kernel, and is a separate module, what kernel version did it originally
> go with?

According to the source, it appears to have been built with the 2.2.x
kernel series.  Supposedly 2.4.0-test9 was supported.  It appears to
have been tested on RH 7.x but I'm on RH9 and kernel 2.4.20.

I'd rather stick with RH9 since it has the drivers for other hw already
included, while RH7.x will require I manually add those drivers.

I haven't talked to SigmaDesigns about this yet, but I plan on dropping
them a note soon (busy running about for my daughters tennis tourney
this weekend).
--
Michael J. Hammel                               The Graphics Muse
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                      http://www.graphics-muse.com