[lug] linux firewall, popup windows spam blocking

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sun Jun 22 15:32:24 MDT 2003

Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:

> Bear, I tried to hit you offlist since this is kind off-topic, but your
> SMTP server doesn't like mine.
>
> >From the Windows command prompt:
>
> 	net message
>
> >From UN*X (requires the installation of SAMBA):
>
> 	smbclient -M  ""

This is a nice test tool. The only problem left is that there are
multiple ways to trigger a popup message, in terms of protocols and
ports. The broadcast methods seem to be what are employed by
www.byebyeads.com in order to do their trespass/extortion scheme.
Microsoft is too stupid to log source addresses, protocols, so on, in
their event viewer for such events, I have to rely on linux to stop and
detect that.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com