[lug] RAID 5 to RAID 1

Bill Jorgensen jorg at sysmgrs.com
Mon Jun 23 15:41:15 MDT 2003

On 23 Jun 2003, Paul Nowosielski wrote:

> I have a server running RAID level 5.
> I need the 3rd hard drive...
> Is there a way to keep all the data and switch it to RAID level 1 ??

I am personally not aware of another way than what I have below, but I
am by no means an expert...

How much disk do you have? For the fs's affected run du on the fs's.
That will give you disk usage (without parity). Make a temp fs that
will house the data. Run,

tar cvf - ./fs's_to_tar | ( cd <new_mount> ; tar xvf - )

If all is well unmount the original fs's, mount the fs that is RAID ?
and you are done. If you do not have the disk I hope you have tape...

Good luck,

Bill