[lug] linux firewall, popup windows spam blocking

Scott Herod herod at dimensional.com
Tue Jun 24 09:20:11 MDT 2003

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Bear Giles wrote:

<snip>

> We all see a huge difference between sending out something from a
> spamming list and responding to an intrusion, but how do you
> codify that into law?  It's a lot harder than you might think, and
> if it's not done right the solution may be worst than the problem.

I saw one proposal that would be someone difficult to implement since it
would require infrastructure improvements but which would not require any
legislation.  Furthermore, it would address exactly the point that Dan
brought up.  Have everyone only accept email from unknown sources if there
is a micro-payment attached.

If you want to send me email, attach 1/100'th of a cent.  I'll gladly pay
you the same to accept email that I send.  I'd probably go years before
even paying a penny, but then I don't send out 100,000 emails at a time.

If my ISP collected from all of the email that I get and applied it
towards my bill, they would probably owe me money.

Scott