[lug] RAID 5 to RAID 1

Paul Nowosielski Paul at danamusic.com
Tue Jun 24 08:02:35 MDT 2003

Ok I've got this little problem solved...

I set up another box with the raid 1 array and a minimal install. Copied
/etc/raidtab to /etc/raidtab.ORG. UN-tarred the backup archive and
moved  the raidtab.ORG to the un-tarred /etc/raidtab and rebooted.
Everything is working perfectly and I'm getting an average of about 53
MB per second data flow.Not to shabby for ATA-100 drives.

Oh yes its software raid, I'm into low-cost servers for web hosting/mail
services.

An ATA-100 controller is $20 dollars.Software raid is free. And you can
pick up a Dell 600sc 2.4 GHZ for about $450 with ample cooling and an 80
gig drive , 64-bit slots, gig NIC. etc etc...
SO buy another drive and a 512MB ram stick and you've got one hell of a
power station.

 Now the only questing is what to do with the old box :)

 Thanks for your help Bill and all others!

-Paul