[lug] linux firewall, popup windows spam blocking

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Jun 24 15:05:29 MDT 2003

John Hernandez wrote:
> I can envision potential for abuse with the micro payments.  What if I
> subscribe 100 freemail accounts to an exploder (like the BLUG list)?
> Suddenly, you all owe me $100 in e-mail tarrifs for sending a message to a
> single address.

The proposal I'm familiar with uses upfront payment.  The client
accepts or refuses, and the sender would (at most) get a message
asking if they were willing to offer more.  One obvious twist
would have the client respond with how much it requires, this
would prevent an annoying 1c? 2c? 3c? process.

Mailing lists would offer nothing and ignore any counter-offer.

Where whitelists come in is they allow you to specify a different
price for different senders.  Mailing lists would have their price
dropped to nothing.