[lug] Weird link issue

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jun 26 11:47:30 MDT 2003

> I have a weird link issue.  I have a redhat 9 server  with 2 hard drives.
> one 20GB with the OS on ext3 partitions, and the other a 40GB with my data
> on a fat32 partition.  my home dir is on the 20GB.  I would like to link
the
> /data/music dir on the 40GB to my home dir so I can FTP in and download
> music to my laptop.  I can create symlinks, but cannot create hard links
> across the 2 devices.

Hard links are exactly that -- they link the inode numbers directly to each
other.  There's no difference between the two files at the inode table
level.  Impossible to do this across multiple physical drives.  So that's
normal.

> When I create a symlink and FTP in my music dir does
> not appear as a folder as it would on the server.  I have a few theories
on
> why this happens, can anyone tell me for sure.

Probably none of the above... some FTP servers can be told not to follow or
show symlinks.  (?)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com