[lug] Comcast users (OT)

Andrew J Jenkins andrew at winston.homelinux.org
Thu Jun 26 21:39:12 MDT 2003

D. Stimits wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
>
>> Any Comcast users out there?  Have any of you notice a significant
>> degradation in speed that last few days?  I'm still using the AT&T part
>> of the network.  I haven't been migrated yet...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff
>>
> There has been a long-term failure in the Longmont area (I'm under
> attbi.com so far, it will become comcast.net in a couple of days).
> These failures occur only at night, and it starts by losing the
> ability to renew a DHCP lease. Dotted decimal addresses work for a
> while (DNS dies too), but soon degrade to up to 85% packet loss. This
> self-repairs late at night also, sometimes within a minute of the
> failure, sometimes not for an hour or so. I have talked to the tech
> people almost every night now for two months, and had a tech out at
> the house. Result was that lines and equipment here are good. Last
> night they found that one gateway was saying the cable modem was
> online, yet the gateway had an 80% packet loss on one test board, and
> showed as good on another. Just a few minutes before this, it had
> failed and self-fixed itself, and the tech at that time said the line
> quality was as good as they could get...yet less than an hour later,
> it did it again.
>
> The tech that came to the house said no overt failures had been
> noticed, but a series of people in the Longmont area that were gamers
> were complaining about sudden latency increases and quality loss (this
> was only at night, and coincidentally, only during maintenance
> cycles). But because all of these reports happen at night when techs
> are not available, and because techs work on it the next day, the
> problem is not visible to them. This has gone on over two months now,
> and at least one idiot said it had to be my hardware (despite the tech
> coming out and telling me it is 100% good here).
>
> Were your degradations in speed at evening/night?
>
> D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com
> (about to become a comcast DOT net)

I'll add my own comcast story.  I'm in the boulder area, near 28th and
Colorado.  I'm also on attbi.com, even though I installed in mid-April,
2003.  When I used to have 3 or 4 computers un-firewalled connected via
switch to the modem, we'd all get DHCP, but if I rebooted one computer,
the modem would stop renewing DHCP on any computer and also not give a
new DHCP to the rebooted one.  Powering off the modem for 5 minutes
fixed it most of the time.  When it was in a funk, manually assigning
the IPs to what was DHCP-leased would work sometimes, sometimes not.

I also experienced the "gamer-latency" problem intermittently, at night,
but that could just as well have been traffic.

I'm not sure if this is their DNS or my NIS (even though nsswitch.conf
has dns: files dns nis), but recently I think DNS has been dying - it'll
take a while (2s) to do the "Resolving Host" in Mozilla, but then
near-instantly load the page.

Go figure.