[lug] Comcast users (OT)

Jeff feenix at ticnet.com
Thu Jun 26 22:06:22 MDT 2003

"D. Stimits" wrote:
(snip)

> I've been using the attbi service since around September 2002. It worked
> perfectly until some time after Comcast took over. Around May 2003, it
> started doing this. And it was not during a reboot of any machine, it
> does this randomly at night to existing machines not trying to renew.
> Static IP only means that packet loss of 66%+ has to be tolerated, that
> DNS is gone, and that cycling the modem results in loss of carrier until
> it fixes itself; not cycling the modem means it self-fixes anywhere from
> a few minutes to a few hours later. The tests from the trouble phone
> number people say that they are getting conflicting reports. One
> software package says it is fine, the other says a gateway can't see the
> modem. If their own software can't agree whether it is online or not
> something is wrong. One particular gateway keeps showing up, but Comcast
> fails to send anyone out at night when it actually happens. By the time
> they get to the facility, the problem is gone. I don't think Comcast is
> sufficiently quality oriented to do what is necessary to track down an
> intermittent problem when not enough people complain about it. Their
> trouble board that indicates failures is obviously not enough, if one
> application shows a gateway/modem connected correctly, while the other
> says it isn't.
>
> D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com

I've had AT&T for 2 years now.  About 6 months whenI lived in Boulder
and for about 1 1/2 years in Westminster.  Had VERY few problems.  About
the last 2 weeks, at night, the systems seems to get really slow.  Not
sure why.  I very seriously doubt that Comcast will do anything about it
since, I'm (we're?) supposed to be migrated to the comcast.net domain
any day now.  I'll just wait and see what happens then and then start
complaining.

I work in the telecom industry and understand how difficult it is to get
techs out at night.  They work 40 hours, then go home.  It's even worse
if they're union...

Jeff

--
Be really good to your family and friends. You never
know when you are going to need them to empty your bedpan.