[lug] Networking Question

Joseph McDonald joem at uu.net
Fri Jun 27 12:32:07 MDT 2003

Hi John,

> However, I would suggest that you flatten the internal network if possible.
> That is, use the D-Link device as a bridge, and don't use the routing/NAT
> features.  Just uplink it to your Netgear using one of the switch ports;
> don't use the D-Link's designated "external" or "WAN" port.  Then renumber
> your upstairs machines to be on the 10.0.0.0/24 net.

Well, try as I might, I just can't get it to act like a bridge.
Leaving the WAN port blank, it set's itself to 0.0.0.0 with a
subnet of 255.0.0.0. So, it's probably not designed to act like
a bridge. It's got a lot of features, so perhaps there's a way
to do it. I'll have to *gasp* call the help line.. But thanks for
your advice. That's probably the best way to go.