[lug] CPU tester, Disk tester

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 20:38:51 MDT 2003

Hugh Brown wrote:

> I recently had a machine exhibit similar behavior.  The memory was at
> fault but memtest caught the problem.
>
> If you can, start swapping components.  I'd go for replacing the mobo/cpu.

Heat will make some of those problems happen more often as well. I've
also had bad memory which memtest failed on, but which produced a memory
error during kernel decompress on new installs, always at the same
offset. Longer memtest86 (like 3 days) showed it, but only on warmer days.

In case it is memory, you might go into the BIOS and increase wait
states. If you have adjustable cpu voltages, boost voltage by 0.05 volts
or so.

If the problems occur using X11, be sure that hardware accelerated
OpenGL is disabled and that screen savers are not OpenGL, direct
hardware accel makes it harder to isolate hardware problems versus
config problems or driver problems.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net