[lug] WMA to OGG Converter?

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Sun Jul 6 12:14:22 MDT 2003

David Morris said:
> Anyone know of a Linux (or at worst free Windoze) program to
> convert WMA format audio files to Ogg-Vorbis format audio
> files?  Or, as a messy alternative, a WMA to MP3 converter
> so I can then use my standard MP3 to OGG converter?

This page (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/codecs-status.html) suggests that
MPlayer supports WMA.  MPlayer can dump the audio output, which you could
then re-enc.  (I think you will want "-ao pcm" for this.)  You might even
be able to do it through a pipe (like a /real man/) and save mucking
around on disk.

Note that "conversion" from one lossy codec to another always compounds
the loss of sound quality.  Your resulting OGGs will, therefore, not sound
as good as the original WMAs, no matter what you do.

Good luck!

-Peter