[lug] Play an Audio CD through SW

Andrew J Jenkins andrew at winston.homelinux.org
Sun Jul 6 13:28:03 MDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 12:59, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> I have what amounts to a USB sound card (it is actually a receiver with a
> USB connector on the front).
>
> I'd like to be able to play CDs through it from by CDROM drive.
> Conventional CD player software just tells the CDROM to "play" the disk
> through the built-in DAC.  Obviously (?) this doesn't work.
>
> Does anyone know of a (straight forward) way to play CDs "as data" through
> a software player?

There are a few modules for XMMS that read the CD as digital CDDA blocks
and pass those to the soundcard.  You can use the XMMS equalizer and
visualizations on these, as a bonus.

CDDA Paranoia:
http://www02.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/ca2/kzmi/xmms/cdparanoia-plugin-0.1.tar.gz

XMMS-Cdread:
ftp://mud.stack.nl/pub/OuterSpace/willem/xmms-cdread-0.11d.tar.gz

I tried a bunch of shell combinations of cdparanoia to /dev/dsp, but
they all sounded like screeching garbage on my box.

Andrew J Jenkins
winston.homelinux.org/~andrew
GPG Public Key ID: 2DB6DA63