[lug] G40 Series Thinkpad Problems

Frederic Herman fherman at inferential.com
Thu Jul 10 21:18:15 MDT 2003

I have a G40 series Thinkpad (not to be confused with a T40).  The G40
is a new series.  Is there anyone using this Notebook yet?

I have two issues:

[1] Internal ethernet adapter not recognized.  /proc/pci  shows:
   Bus  2, device   0, function  0:
     Ethernet controller: PCI device 14e4:170d (Broadcom Corporation)
(rev 1).
       IRQ 11.
       Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=64.
       Non-prefetchable 64 bit memory at 0xd0200000 [0xd020ffff].

[2]	Battery status and charger status not reported correctly in KDE
applet.  I suspect the bios may have acpi rather than APM, but I don't
know how I could confirm this.

So far, IBM tech support has stonewalled me in my attempt to talk to
someone knowledgeable in linux.  I understand the problems are solvable,
because  EmporerLinux sells a preloaded G40 which is supposed to have
APM and internal ethernet support, but they have ignored my requests for
information since I didn't buy the notebook from them.

I have Googled for info but came up empty.  I have posted to a couple
other mailing lists including RedHat's, but didn't get anywhere that
way.  Someone at our LUG (PPLUG.ORG) thought your LUG had some IBM experts.

Any help would be appreciated.  If someone has an inside contact at IBM,
that could also help.

TIA

Fred Herman