[lug] advice on meeting software

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Fri Jul 11 15:55:27 MDT 2003

Michael D. Hirsch said:
> On Friday 11 July 2003 09:37 am, pjr at ucar.edu wrote:

> My experience is that VNC tends to be slow on Windows boxes.  People
> tell  me that that shows a misconfiguration, but I see it often so
> either it is  easy to get wrong, or a deeper problem than that.
>
> Windows prefers Remote Desktop which is basically a Windows version of
> VNC.   There is a linux client named rdesktop, that seems to work well.

Windows is less "helpful" to user programs that redirect GUI elements.
VNC has to guess when to update things on windows, whereas X tells it when
something has changed.  This gives the impression that it is slower.

-Peter

PS: All the compression (and/or bandwidth) in the world won't help.

-P

PPS: Maybe Remote Desktop and VNC can coexist . . . ?  In my experience
the break even point for complexity on a server vs on the clients is about
3N, where N is the number of clients.

-p