[lug] G40 Series Thinkpad Problems-- SOLVED !!!

Frederic Herman fherman at inferential.com
Sun Jul 13 23:30:37 MDT 2003

Matthew Snelham wrote:

>On 13 Jul 2003 03:24 PM or thereabouts, Frederic Herman wrote:
>

>>I dug into the supplied software from Broadcom.  I found that one of the
>>.h files refers to memory address, but that they were not in the ranges
>>reported by /rpoc/bios.  So I changed the base address of all thge
>>defined addresses, recompiled the driver, qand it loaded.  I then
>>brought up the interface, and it worked.  I need to put together
>>something for the linux-laptops web site I guess.
>>

>Nice work!   Those crazy engineers... use off the shelf chipsets, but just
>*have* to be different.
>
>Was it just the ioport, iomem, or PCI ID value that you had to update?
>
>/me mutters something positive about open source. ;-)
>
>--Matthew
>infinite at sigalrm.com

>Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667 channel=#colug

The changes were for the iomem.  The file that has the values which need
to be changed is 5701rls.h, and the file is found in the src directory
of the driver.zip  file from Broadcom.  The original file has memory
address like:

0x08000xxx

which need to be changed to:

0xd00000xxx

There were 6 changes required.  I intend to do a howto at some point.

Yes. thank God for OpenSource.  Without the source, there would have
been no chance without Broadcom or IBM providing a driver.  The Broadcom
files are in fact released under GPL.

Fred