[lug] Comcast users (OT)

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Mon Jul 14 08:05:03 MDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 03:12:55PM -0600, Kenneth D. Weinert wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 04:54:59PM -0000, James Yonan wrote:
> > My biggest gripe so far (which is not really Comcast's fault) is that my IP
> > address is increasingly associated with blocks of IP addresses which send
> > spam.  Therefore my SMTP server often cannot send email.  As a result of this,
> > I am going to have to find an SMTP relay somewhere on a "clean" netblock (I
> > tried using comcast's own relay, but it wouldn't relay traffic coming from my
> > sendmail).
>
> 	Until the 30th try using ATTBI's relay. The email is still
> coming through there for now.
>
> 	I had to do this for AOL (a couple of the parent's on my
> daughter's soccer team are on AOL) since they no longer accept mail
> from dynamic IPs.

Note that it is not necessary to redirect _all_ mail thru the comcast
relay.  It is possible to use the mailertable feature of sendmail (and
similar features of other MTAs) to do this only for AOL and similar
systems.  I've only run across a handful so far.

I've put together a page on how to do this, and why you might want to.
In my case, I want end-to-end opportunistic encryption of email
confirmed via my /var/mail/maillog when that is available.

  http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/cablemail.html

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
Signed and/or sealed mail encouraged.  GPG/PGP Keyid: 2C9EBA60