[lug] Wireless networking

Terry Branaman t-branaman at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 22:12:46 MDT 2003

I'm trying to get wireless networking on my laptop, with no success. The
laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 5205 running Mandrake 9.1. The wireless
nic is a SMC2635W. I followed the instructions on the SMC web site:

1. Add the following lines to your /etc/pcmcia/config file:
card "SMC2632W"
manfid 0x0156, 0x0002
bind "wvlan_cs"

2. Add or uncomment the following lines to your /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
file:
# Options for WaveLAN/IEEE driver (AccessPoint mode)...
#module "wvlan_cs" opts "station_name=MY_PC"
# Options for WaveLAN/IEEE driver (ad-hoc mode)...
module "wvlan_cs" opts "port_type=1 channel=6 station_name=Linux"

3. Add or uncomment these lines to your /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts file:
# Note : wvlan_cs driver only, and version 1.0.4+ for encryption support
*,*,*,00:e0:29:*) # Here you should enter the MAC address of your
INFO="SMC test network adapter" #wireless adapter
ESSID="any"
MODE="Infrastructure"
RATE="auto"
CHANNEL="6"
Lastly, run the Linuxconf Utility and configure your first network
interface (assuming you only have one network adapter in your system) to
use the "Net Device" = "wvlan0" and set it to DHCP or static depending
on your network infrastructure.

I then restarted the pcmcia and network services, but the system is not
seeing the wireless nic; it is seeing the built-in 10/100 nic (eth0)
just fine. "ifup eht1" gives the message "wvlan0 device eth1 does not
seem to be present, delaying initialization."

I've looked on google, without success, for aditional information that
might help. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
--
Terry Branaman <t-branaman at comcast.net>