[lug] Wireless networking

Terry Branaman t-branaman at comcast.net
Wed Jul 16 16:49:18 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 12:29, Ed Hill wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 12:58, Terry Branaman wrote:
> > Here is the trimmed-down version:
> > Jul 16 10:54:02 laptop kernel: unable to grab IRQ 0
> > Jul 16 10:54:02 laptop kernel: Intel ICH soundcard not found or device
> > busy
> > Jul 16 10:54:02 laptop insmod:
> > /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o.gz:
> > init_module: No such device
>
> [*snip*]
>
> > It looks like it is trying to load sound drivers (I've never gotten the
> > sound working on this laptop, but it hasn't been a priority); what does
> > that have to do with a network card :( ????
>

> Hi Terry,
>
> Yes, the information you're sending certainly indicates that its trying
> to load sound and related modules for an Intel i810--type chipset.  The
> i810 (and its derivatives) are cheap-o unified-memory designs where the
> main memory is used for everything including video.  They've had spotty
> Linux support.
>
> Are you sure you have pcmcia installed and working?  I'm not familiar
> with Mandrake, but with Red Hat its a separate RPM (that is, not part of
> the kernel RPM).  And if pcmcia is installed on your system, why are we
> not seeing any messages from it when you insert a pcmcia/cardbus card?
> Its going to be hard for anyone to debug pcmcia issues without
> feedback...
>
> Ed
>
> ps - try: "rpm -qa | grep -i pcmcia"

Yes, I do have pcmcia support loaded:
root at laptop ~ # rpm -qa | grep -i pcmcia
pcmcia-cs-x11-3.2.3-5mdk
pcmcia-cs-3.2.3-5mdk

When I install an old ethernet pcmcia card, gpccard shows:
"NE2000 Compatible Fast Ethernet
  device(s): eth1
  resources: irq 3, io 0x300-0x31f"

When I install the wireless card, I get:
"CardBus hotplug device
  resources:"
--
Terry Branaman <t-branaman at comcast.net>