[lug] Wireless networking

Terry Branaman t-branaman at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 09:01:59 MDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 08:04, Hugh Brown wrote:
> > Yes, I do have pcmcia support loaded:
> > root at laptop ~ # rpm -qa | grep -i pcmcia
> > pcmcia-cs-x11-3.2.3-5mdk
> > pcmcia-cs-3.2.3-5mdk
> >
> > When I install an old ethernet pcmcia card, gpccard shows:
> > "NE2000 Compatible Fast Ethernet
> >   device(s): eth1
> >   resources: irq 3, io 0x300-0x31f"
> >
> > When I install the wireless card, I get:
> > "CardBus hotplug device
> >   resources:"
>

> When you insert that NE2000 compatible nic, you should get some comments
> in /var/log/messages that show the manfid and resources.  Even when the
> pcmcia subsystem can't figure out what a device is, it still reports
> manfid and other related info.
>
> Try and find the blurb from pcmcia-cs in /var/log/messages relating to
> the insertion of the wireless card.
>
> Another thought:
>
> when the card is inserted, run
>
> cardctl status
> cardctl ident
>
> and tell us what you find.
>
> Hugh

root at laptop ~ # cardctl status
Socket 0:
  3.3V CardBus card
  function 0: [ready]
root at laptop ~ # cardctl ident
Socket 0:
  no product info available
root at laptop ~ #  cardctl info
PRODID_1=""
PRODID_2=""
PRODID_3=""
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0000,0000
FUNCID=255

root at laptop ~ # grep -i pcmcia /var/log/messages
Jul 17 10:51:05 laptop pcmcia: Starting PCMCIA services:
Jul 17 10:51:05 laptop pcmcia: cardmgr[954]: watching 1 sockets
Jul 17 10:51:05 laptop pcmcia: done.
Jul 17 10:51:05 laptop rc: Starting pcmcia:  succeeded

Terry Branaman <t-branaman at comcast.net>