[lug] finding a DNS server

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 22:23:25 MDT 2003

Arlan Ramsay wrote:

> Is there a way to search a given domain to locate name servers?
> I have always had to have someone tell me some IP addresses for the
> relevant machines, but how do they find out?
>
> Thanks,
> Arlan Ramsay

The other answers are more convenient in many ways, but sometimes this
can be very useful if foreign addresses are involved:

  http://www.apnic.net/info/faq/abuse/index.html#3

Just click on the map for the region of the world you are interested in,
and it'll take you to name service provider for that part of the world.
It won't always tell you exactly what you want, but it is a useful
additional tool.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net