[lug] Organizing against SCO?

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Wed Jul 23 02:56:56 MDT 2003

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> This particularly makes it seem like they are promoting unbased claims
> because from what I've heard they're complaint rests on features added
> to the 2.5 kernel, which nearly nobody is currently using in
> production.

According to them, it is 2.4 and 2.5

> Is anyone interested in working to find out what the appropriate way for
> the Linux community to respond, and then working to get participation
> from the Linux community to make it happen?

I think both the owner of the Linux trademark and Linus personally
should have already taken action against SCO for making false and
damaging statements against both (not just the actual infringement
claims but other attacks).  And the major Linux distributors as well.
But they don't seem very interested in doing so.  I think some of this
is a willingness to let IBM fight it out.

As far as the Linux community, other than protests and public education,
both of which are already being done, I don't see a whole lot more.
SCO's reputation *within* the Linux community is totally shot at this
point without any organized effort against them, so there isn't a whole
lot to be done on that front.