[lug] System configuration files

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Jul 29 14:16:08 MDT 2003

Don't use /var for configuration files.  /var is for changing data
files.  /etc is the place for configuration data.  /etc is like the
Registry in Windows.

I like programs that use /etc/<package> for their files.

Many packages use autoconf.  You can configure where they put their
configuration files by using the options to ./configure.  When you build
the package, try ./configure --help first and see what options you have.

When you build a lot of packages, you'll probably want to create a
configure shell script so you don't need to repeat all your options each
time.