[lug] System configuration files

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Tue Jul 29 16:22:34 MDT 2003

Ralf wrote:

> But, yes, /etc is the most logical place. And more and more
> packages follow the ->
>
> > I like programs that use /etc/<package> for their files.
>
> approach. This is probably due to the fact that what once was
> /etc/bloink.cfg is now a pile of files.

That's a good point.  One of the reasons I was avoiding /etc was because
it's already so cluttered.  But maybe doing something like

/etc/conf/apache
/etc/conf/mysql
/etc/conf/wu-ftpd

would keep down the clutter by moving everything out of the "main" /etc
area.

Come to think of it, there's already (on many systems) an /etc/sysconfig
area... perhaps package configurations could go in there?

Thanks for the help,
Jeff