[lug] GRUB

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Jul 29 21:01:03 MDT 2003

Yeah, it's possible.  Your problem is that GRUB thinks hdb is the second
drive in the system and writes the boot accordingly.

When the BIOS runs on boot, it numbers every boot device on the system.
This number has to be mapped by GRUB.  It doesn't always get it right,
like in your case.  In your case, the BIOS will find hdb as the first
boot device, not the second.

I think what you need to do is edit /boot/grub/device.map.  Change the
(hd0) device to be /dev/hdb and then try doing a grub-install.

I can't test that right now, but I think it'll work.