[lug] System configuration files

Joseph McDonald joem at uu.net
Wed Jul 30 10:29:28 MDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:44:21PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> For that I refer to the Debian installation on one of my computers.
> The Debian maintainers actually use /etc for config stuff. I think
> they really expect config stuff to be in /etc.

 I've always understood /etc/ to house configuration files. /var doesn't
 seem like the place to put conf goo. In fact, many people make /var it's
 own partition. The reason being, if processes go hay wire and fill logfiles
 and those logfiles fill the partition, you don't hang the box because the
 root partition is still in good shape. In addition, it seems to me that
 /usr/local/ has basically replaced /opt/ as the location for additional
 software.

 I know Sun still uses /opt/ and I think some of the BSD's (BSDi) use /opt/
 but I think for the most part /opt/ has been depreciated (commence flaming).
 I notice that most of the open source software posted to the sunfreeware site
 get's installed into /usr/local/ and many RPM's do the same.

	--joey