[lug] Cannot get PPTP to work

Dhruva B. Reddy bdhruva at gmx.net
Thu Jul 31 07:10:21 MDT 2003

My employer uses a M$ PPTP server for their VPN, and I set up pptp-linux
on my Debian box.  I eventually got this to work, but lately when I try
to bring up the connection, I get the following message in my logs:

Remote message: Unknown authentication failure: E=648 R=0 C=852030BD1B2EA71987B75BC6331FC766 V=3
CHAP authentication failed

I can't think of anything I may have changed on my system, and we don't
know of anything on the server either (at least, anything deliberate).

The Windoze lusers seem to be able to get on OK (although one was unable
to last weekend--but it mysteriously cleared up when he rebooted the
server), so I'm kind of on my own here.  Can anyone tell me what to look
for?

Thanks,
-d