[lug] I miss kpackage

Elyse Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Fri Aug 1 15:42:50 MDT 2003

I think whoever decided to pull kpackage out of the RedHat distributions
was an idiot. There is nothing available with newer RedHat releases
that provides the full functionality that kpackage provided in RedHat
7.x releases.

synaptic is slightly better than the RedHat Install/remove tool but does
not provide information about the files installed by an rpm. It also
doesn't seem to have a way of doing anything sensible if I try to point
it at an rpm file which has been downloaded from wherever and is
sitting on my hard drive.

Naturally, the two main uses I made of kpackage were installing
miscellaneous downloaded rpms, and looking to see where in the
directory tree package X had installed various pieces of itself (or
planned to install pieces of itself).

--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology