[lug] "RHL", Severn, and other mysteries.

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Sun Aug 3 23:14:22 MDT 2003

Tom Tromey said:
>>> Now that Red Hat Linux is opening
>
> Peter> What does this mean?  Did I miss some news?  Got a link?
>
> Well, the web site is still in a strange state, but:
>
> http://rhl.redhat.com/

That page just says:

   Red Hat remains excited about the open development process announced
   on Monday. We're currently reworking the content of this site to clarify
   questions people have raised since our announcement. We'll have the site
   restored as soon as possible.

and has a bunch of links to "Severn" mirrors, which seems to be Red Hat 10
beta, and links to some "RHL" mailing lists.

It strikes me odd that they mention an "announcement" that I can't find at
www.redhat.com, and don't provide a link.

The Severn RELEASE-NOTES says:

Red Hat Linux Project Introduction

   With this release, the Red Hat Linux product is becoming the Red Hat Linux
   Project -- an openly-developed project designed by Red Hat, open for
   general participation, led by a meritocracy, following a set of project
   objectives. For more information, see the Red Hat Linux Project website:

   http://rhl.redhat.com/

Sounds like RH is 1. laying off a bunch of development people and 2.
trying to compete with Gentoo and 3. trying to spin it as being more
"open."  But that's just my SWAG.

If anyone finds a link to the alleged "announcement" let me know!

-Peter

PS:

Severn
     n 1: a river in Ontario that flows northeast into Hudson Bay
          [syn: Severn, Severm River]
     2: a river in England and Wales flowing into the Bristol
        Channel; the longest river in Great Britain [syn: Severn,
         River Severn, Severn River]

Also a town in Maryland and a . . . village in N. Carolina.  Hey, wait.
Where is Red Hat?

-P