[lug] "RHL", Severn, and other mysteries.

bof bof at pcisys.net
Mon Aug 4 07:07:03 MDT 2003

Peter Hutnick wrote:

><snip>
>
>Sounds like RH is 1. laying off a bunch of development people and 2.
>trying to compete with Gentoo and 3. trying to spin it as being more
>"open."  But that's just my SWAG.
>
>If anyone finds a link to the alleged "announcement" let me know!
>
>-Peter
>
>PS:
>
>Severn
>     n 1: a river in Ontario that flows northeast into Hudson Bay
>          [syn: Severn, Severm River]
>     2: a river in England and Wales flowing into the Bristol
>        Channel; the longest river in Great Britain [syn: Severn,
>         River Severn, Severn River]

sever
    v 1: to cut off a part from a whole
      2: to break up (e.g., a relationship); dissolve

 From their proposed new business model, where they will not be
distributing any more boxed releases and seem to be cutting away from
the desktop to concentrate on the enterprise, and thus alienating a
very, very large home or small office user base, I am wondering if
perhaps the rednecks at RedHat (recall that the first foreign language
release of RH was Redneck) could have become confused and spelled
"severn" when they actually meant to spell the name of the new release
as "severing".

BOF