[lug] The SCO IP License.. where do I click?

Wagner, Carl Carl.Wagner at Level3.com
Wed Aug 6 09:27:30 MDT 2003

Has anyone heard if SCO has released any [more] "proof" of IP infringement?
I would think that they would be liable for "Irreparable Damages" to all the
Linux vendors if they lose the inevitable court case.  I am surprised that
Redhat and the others haven't requested a restraining order on SCO releasing
any more FUD until they prove that they have a case.

The cynic in me believes that Microsoft is somehow involved in this.

Carl.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael J. Hammel [mailto:mjhammel at graphics-muse.org]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 9:31 AM
To: LUG List
Subject: Re: [lug] The SCO IP License.. where do I click?

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 00:33, Joseph McDonald wrote:
> What a freekin buzzkill. Linus has said that there are no
> SCO IP problems. Either there are, or there aren't. It's
> getting kind of absurd; license it for 700$ per CPU. puke.

Strangely, this isn't too far off from what USL charged for PC based
distributions of the original SVR4 code.  Such pricing is what
effectively kept SVR4 off desktops in the early 90's and let Linux come
into being in the first place.

Didn't work then.  And it won't work now.
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>