[lug] help for missing memory?

Phil Rasch pjr at phaedrus.cgd.ucar.edu
Fri Aug 8 09:08:35 MDT 2003

I just bought a new Dell machine with 2GB of memory. When I log in
as root I can see all the memory. When I log in as a regular user I
only see 896MB.

I am running a very uptodate version of Debian/KNOPPIX (2.4.21 kernel)
and KDE3.1.2. I am checking by issueing various commands within a
Konsole window.

I have checked with both "top" and "lshw". I am running the tcsh shell
as both regular and root user. I have checked with "limit" and
"limit -h" and both indicate everything is set "unlimited".

In the old days one needed to fuss with kernel settings or boot
configurations to make sure all the memory was seen, but in this case,
since root sees it, something else is probably the matter.

I cant think of anything else to check.

Anybody got any advice?

Phil

--
Phil Rasch, Climate Modeling Section, National Center for Atmospheric Research
Mail     --> P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307