[lug] Re: Re: help for missing memory?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Aug 8 15:02:38 MDT 2003

Phil Rasch wrote:

 > The thing that confuses me is why root can see the memory but a
 > regular account cannot. How does this work in context with your
solutions?

My understanding is that on Knoppix all accounts are locked.  How did
you log in as another user anyway?  ;-)  There's really no "login" per
se, is there?  Maybe what I read was incorrect.

That is definitely odd behaviour but I know Knoppix utilizes some
interesting tricks with RAM and ramdisks to do some of what it does,
from what I've read.  (No experience with it... I was actually thinking
about playing with it this weekend...)  Maybe this is some sort of
interaction with that?  What's mounted when you're up and running?
Anything that would eat a large chunk of RAM like a ramdisk?

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
"When all else fails, play dead."