[lug] Tape backup app

B Giles bldrbear at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 11 09:39:05 MDT 2003

>Wouldn't a simple "sync" before the dump on a quiet filesystem take care of
>that in theory?  Probably a good idea to have it at the top of backup
>scripts anyway...?

It's unlikely to hurt, but how can you be sure that it's a quiet FS short of
unmounting it?

As a pratical matter, I agree that single users and small sites can take
steps to mitigate the risk.  But it's something to keep in mind if there's
any risk that the backup scheme will be extended to sites where you can't
force a FS to become quiet, e.g., a web site that accepts user data.